Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Gentlest of Bends


"A cluster of afternoon traffic rose up from the distance where the road was a shimmering black sea. Perkin hotboxed his cigarette and flicked loose the cherry in a burst of orange embers that ashed the sidewalk, tucked the un-smoked portion into the front pocket of his t-shirt. He eyed the still roost of overhead stoplights and readied his Need Work, Hungry sign." - From The Gentlest of Bends

My story The Gentlest of Bends is up over at Burrow Press as part of their 15 Views of Orlando project. You can read the story here. It's part 5 (of 15), so be sure to check out the previous and forthcoming stories.

A big thanks to Ryan Rivas and Nathan Holic for giving me the chance to participate in such a fantastic project!

8 comments:

  1. Good story! Loved the lushness and details. Left a comment there about it as well. Your writing is getting stronger, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Brad. I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mixed hope and despair so well. I can always count on you for a story that's worth every word and emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Sarah. Thank you. I always appreciate you stopping by to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an outstanding story. I want so badly for this character and his little family to be happy. It's amazing how much emotion and detail you've packed into such a small space.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Greg. Thank you for giving the story a read and taking the time to comment. Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m so behind on my reading it’s depressing. But this is one I will definitely check out. Really cool project and great excerpt—I’m hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Letisia! Hope you like it okay.

    ReplyDelete