Thursday, September 2, 2010

Emprise Review

My short story The Shape Of Immortality is up in Volume 16 of Emprise Review.

"It’s the girl he loves from afar, with her sad dark eyes and their thick lashes. He believes her eyes mourn for all loss, that they could understand a fatherless fisher-boy in a way other eyes could not. The boy wishes he could tell her this. That he could hold her close and whisper it into her ear and somehow backlight those eyes with a subtle joy. But the boy is still just a boy and he falls mute with adolescent fear."

The issue is huge and includes writing from folks like Ethel Rohan, Gary Moshimer and a whole slew of talented writers. I’m honored to be included in the mix. A big thanks to the fiction editor Amber Sparks. She’s doing some great stuff over there and is also Writer in Residence over at Necessary Fiction for September. So get to visiting, good stuff awaits.

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Hunter!! Love the excerpt! On my way to check it out...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intriguing excerpt, and congratulations to you!

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats. I'll go and have a look now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. just back from reading the story. really great bit of work hunter. I was totally gripped.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, lesinfin. Thanks so much. I appreciate you giving it a read.

    Hi, Pearl. Thanks. I really tried to work with imagery and symbolism in this one, but that excerpt is what it's all about.

    Hi, Philip. I very much appreciate it. Glad you enjoyed the story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hunter, your writing is brilliant, as usual. I have one of my son Joey's pieces on my blog, along with his blog address. I would be honored if you would check it out, and some of his short stories as well.

    Thanks, Hunter. You are so gifted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's an interesting story and you told it so magnificently. It's beautifully poetic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Judie. Thanks. I'll stop by.

    Hi, Sarah. Always appreciate you reading and commenting. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been reading you silently for months. You remind me of Joe Purdy (the musician). I find great comfort and great truth in your work. Thanks for sharing.

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats to you too. I've been over there and read the story. Enjoyed it a great deal. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Steph. Thank you. I'm glad you decided to come out of lurker mode and say hello!

    Hi, Madame. Thanks. Always appreciate you reading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats, Hunter, on yet another publication! You're doing really well. I expect a successful novel within the next year or so! hehe. Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Lou. Thanks. I'm working hard at finishing the novel. Won't know what I think of it until it's done though...

    ReplyDelete